Turkey Hill Ranch Bible Camp?

I applied to work at Turkey Hill Ranch Bible Camp in the middle of March.
I really wanted to grow in a "different" way this summer...at least different then just being "taught" at camp. So, I applied and was accepted to be on summer staff. I was super excited, but as the year ended and summer started, I decided that I wanted to go to Younglife Camp. Younglife camp is so fun; with amazing food, crazy activities, an entire surprise and great speakers. I wanted to go since it would be my last time as a camper, so I decided to let the people at Turkey Hill know that I wouldn't be coming as a staffer, because I had other things to do this summer. So, that's what I did.
Thru the months of summer, I tried to recruit people for younglife camp (you have to have three signed up, if you're going to go a second time) and tried to raise money to go. I was getting to the point where I was inviting literally everyone on facebook, and was going to spend 600+ dollars of my well-earned money on one week of camp that I had already been too. As the week grew closer and closer, I decided to contact Turkey Hill and ask if it was too late to be on staff the week that I wanted too... (July 24- August 1). They said it wasn't too late, so I decided to keep that in the back of my mind, as I continued to look for people to go to YL camp and the money to go.
Well, it's the week before I would be leaving for YL camp, but instead, I'm heading an hour south to Vienna, Missouri to Turkey Hill Ranch Bible Camp. I could have still gone to YL Camp, I could have mustered up three people to go...and I could have footed the bill (even though my mom wouldn't have liked that). But, I decided to stick to what I was committed to (and was excited about) since March! I think that Turkey Hill is in God's plan for me, and that YL camp wasn't. YL camp is for non-christians to hear the Gospel for the first time, which grows me, because it's great to be there for my friends who have never heard the Gospel before...but it also isn't challenging, because it's comfortable and fun.
One thing that isn't comfortable or fun is going to a camp that you have never been to before, during the last week of camp, after all the other staff have been together for five weeks prior. It's not fun to move in on Saturday night, while everyone else is out to dinner, and they come home to their new "bunkmate." It's not easy to meet a bunch of new people in an entirely new place...in fact... my heart is starting to race just thinking about it. Not to mention, no one will be there to "welcome me.." So, I will be left a piece of paper that says my cabin assignment and I will move in while the entire camp is empty. That's scary.
What else is scary is knowing that I will not be told my "job" until I arrive on Saturday evening. I could be anywhere from a Gym Supervisor... me and sports? yikes! to a lifeguard (also, a scary thought)...to a counselor (or co-counselor) or working in the kitchen. Only one of those sounds like me...being a counselor...which is what I want, but not sure if I will "get". I am trusting that God knows what's best for me, and that since He is leading me to Turkey Hill...he will guide me the entire way.
You're prayers are appreciated as I prepare for my unknown adventure at Turkey Hill next week.

Comments

J Garr said…
For the record.....I am super proud of you!
J. said…
This is my first summer not getting to go to Turkey Hill. I am so sad and feel the same way about it as you probably do YL. I will be thinking about you and praying for you as you take on this adventure next week! Have an awesome time and allow the Lord to reveal himself to you in new ways. Leah Hammond will be on staff and she is amazing, I love her! Sonny Williams is the director and he is a God Sent! I love him so much. You will have an amazing time I am sure of it. Can't wait to read a blog about it! :)
Unknown said…
I hope you enjoyed your time.. =)

Popular posts from this blog

:::Fifty Shades of Crap:::

"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."