It's the eve of Finals Week....

It's the eve of Finals Week and all through the house...Hayley was writing a blog instead of studying for her 8am final....

In the Fall of 2014, I started on an adventure. An adventure to Covenant Seminary. I was excited about the opportunity to receive my Master's in Counseling, to grow in community, to learn from great theologians.
But...
It only took about three weeks to start to realize that I was not in the right place. I didn't feel at home.

It could have been the fact that I only really connected with about three other students. Everyone seemed to come to Seminary with a certain personality...a personality that I didn't have.
It could have been the fact that I hated every book that I was being forced to read. I love to read....but I'm pretty sure these books were written to torture people. 
It could have been the fact that I was being forced to read the Bible. It's like when your favorite book is Charlotte's Web, but the second your teacher tells you to read it...you suddenly hate the book...
It could have been the fact that I was unable to pay attention in 80% of my classes because I had an extremely difficult time understanding how any of this was applicable to my career as a counselor.
It could have been the fact that no professor cared to really know my name. I didn't realize how much I missed this from my undergraduate degree...

I'm not really sure what it was....but I just didn't fit at Covenant. I tried really hard. At the start of the Spring semester, I tried to persuade myself to change my ways and give it another shot. But it's just not my cup of tea.

Despite this year of grueling stress....God has used it.
I've met two girls that have truly impacted my life for the better. Two girls that have cared about me, supported me, and prayed for me. Two girls that have made me laugh more than anyone I know! If I have gone to seminary, just two meet these two girls, it will have been worth it. Shout-out to Bri and Danielle :) 
I've realized that you can read the Bible, study the Bible, know all the answers, go to 15 credits of Seminary classes...and still feel far away from Christ. Who knew?! 
I've realized that Starbucks really does solve all your problems...or maybe it just distracts you from them.
I've come to understand the truth of God's story a little bit better. I've come to understand how God wants to use His people to redeem the world. These foundational truths will help me immensely as I journey into my future...
&
I've come closer to realizing what God is calling me to do with my future and my degree in Counseling...

After working at Westminster Christian Academy for a semester, I realized how much I loved the atmosphere of working in a school. I love having a school mascot and school sports to cheer for, I love working with students (duh!), and I love supporting students in a place where they spend 80% of their time! I never put it together, until a year of Seminary, that God may be calling me into School Counseling. Over the past year, every time the topic came up, I would always tell my classmates that I was most interested in school counseling. Well, Seminary doesn't get you a Master's in School Counseling, just a Master's in Professional Counseling...and those aren't the same thing!

For so long, I was hesitant to let myself transfer schools because what is more holy than attending a seminary. Am I right? Wrong. I realized that staying at Seminary was actually sucking the life out of my relationship with Christ.

So, after a year of living the seminary life, after a year of loathing going to class each day, and after a year of great discernment... I am super excited to announce that I am headed back to my Alma Mater to receive my Master's in School Counseling. I cannot wait to return to Lindenwood University to receive this degree, which will prepare me to work as a school counselor in grades K-12.

{{As for Jesus and I...we are beginning again (like the Taylor Swift song). Over the past month, I stopped reading every single Seminary book that I was supposed to read and started reading "Searching for Sunday" by Rachel Held Evans...an incredible book that has awakened my heart to the beautiful truths surrounding God and the Church...in honest & transparent language that I so desperately needed.}}


Thank you, Lord, for sending me to Covenant Seminary for this year of learning. I would not be who I am or where I am without this adventure.

But I am excited that God is opening the door for me to finish my education in a place that feels like home---Lindenwood University.

In His love and His guidance,
HG

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

:::Fifty Shades of Crap:::

"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."

Turkey Hill Ranch Bible Camp?