O, the Wonderful Cross.

It's not Easter Sunday according to our calendars.
However....
The tomb is still empty.
Christ has risen!
We've been set free from the power of sin!
We can have relationship with God!

Sometimes we get so caught up in our world and our life that we fail to reflect on the most precious and sweet news...the good news...the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

My high school youth pastor, Stephen, used to always tell us to 'preach the Gospel to ourselves daily.'
I always thought, "Daily? Ha. I can only handle one emotional "Gospel night" at camp once a summer, Stephen! You expect me to preach that to myself daily?! You're cray."
You know what I'm talking about....they turned off all the lights, they gave some really emotional talk, the music was incredible and sobering...a skit may have even been involved. You always knew that night was coming at camp. It was probably my favorite night because it always reminded me of the hope that I have as a Christian. But it was always done in a dramatic sense and the impact of it usually faded after a week or so.
We so quickly lose sight of that hope. That joy. That truth. That is---the good news of Jesus Christ.

Today, I was driving to work and "The Wonderful Cross" by Chris Tomlin/Matt Redman came on the radio. I had forgotten about that beautiful hymn and started jamming out to it (Yes, you can jam out to hymns). As I was singing, I was reflecting on the lyrics and how beautifully true they were.
The chorus says: O the wonderful cross. O the wonderful cross. Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live. O the wonderful cross. O the wonderful cross. All who gather here, by grace draw and bless Your name."
And probably my favorite lyrics: "Love, so amazing, so divine---demands my soul, my life, my all."

In high school, I don't think that I grasped how the love of Christ compels me to give Him my life, my sacrifice, my love, and my obedience. I was fine with Him giving me a free ride to Heaven. But I didn't think it required anything of me, except to pray... "that prayer."

I was so, so wrong.
God wants my whole heart, not in part, but in whole.
God wants my whole life, not in part, but in whole.
God wants my whole soul, not in part, but in whole.
God wants my whole mind, not in part, but in whole.
God wants every part of me, even the shame, the sin, and the regret.
He wants me to let go of all idols, all shame, all baggage, and all my sin.
He wants me to let go of all of that and hold onto all that He is.

A few years ago, I started down a long journey of letting go, healing, and restoration.
I let go of all that was holding me down, and I held onto Him.

I don't think I will ever fully understand or comprehend how beautiful the cross is.
But I can begin to understand what God has done in my own life.
And what He is continuing to do.


The cross of Christ holds the power to turn a broken, hurting, addicted, depressed young girl--into a healed, thankful, set free, joyful,  young woman. My life is the proof.
I am far from perfect. I'm still broken, still very sinful.... but I am not who I once was.
And for that, I give glory to my Heavenly Father.


O, the wonderful cross.
The sweet, sweet wonderful cross of Jesus Christ.

Rest in the wonderful cross and the blood that spilled out for your sake.
Remind yourself of the Gospel.
Reflect on what God has done in your life.
Remember the empty tomb.

And remember the cross...
The cross that set you free.
The cross that cleansed you of all unrighteousness.
The cross that has made you white as snow.
The cross that has restored your relationship with a perfect, loving God.
The cross that has redeemed your life from the pit.
The cross that revealed God's love for all mankind.


It may not be Easter Sunday....but tonight---in Blanton Room 223---it sure feels like it. 

In His love,
HG



"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly."
Romans 5:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

:::Fifty Shades of Crap:::

"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."

Turkey Hill Ranch Bible Camp?